There is a dangerous plant lurking in PEI woods called Hogweed. If you or your dog come into contact with this plant’s sap – it can lead to Hogweed Poisoning.
My dog, Kyro, went into the woods to potty and briefly explore for 5 mins before coming home, as he’s done for years and came out with two abrasions on his face. I thought he must had just hit a branch.
Within 24-hours, blisters and open wounds started appearing. I called my Vet right away and booked an appointment. By the day of the vet appointment, Kyro had blisters/burns on his nose, eyes, ears, skull, armpits and legs.
He is now being treated for Hogweed Poisoning and is on Prednisone, a steroid-topical ointment, and antibiotics.
The issue the Hogweed sap causes is called Phytophotodermititis – which is severe photosensitivity to sunlight. Once a dog has had a case of Phytophotodermititus, that area will be sensitive to sunlight for several years and he will likely have permanent scarring. So there will now be limits on when Kyro can be outside.
I will have to work to provide him shade and keep him indoors if possible during the sun’s strongest times of the day. I am going to research pet sunblock products and other remedies that might allow us some more time outdoors after the Hogweed Poisoning treatment. We will adapt though and make it work and still live our best lives possible!
Kyro is handling the whole thing like a champ! Nothing slows a Malinois/GSD down! His spirits and energy have not changed one bit!
Shoutout to the team at Southport Animal Hospital for the exemplary service, care, and attention!
If you suspect your dog to has been in contact with Hogweed – call your Vet immediately!
– Kyro’s Mom & Dog Trainer Sara Bryanton
Looking for help with your dog’s training?
Sign-up for our Free Dog Training Mini-Series to get started!
Would you like your dog to be an off-leash dog? Or looking to explore our other services?
Click here to explore: Dog Training Services